By Katrin Vares
As a student who prepares to study abroad, youre probably looking for English-taught degrees. And certainly youll find plenty, regardless of where you plan on studying. Youll also notice you need a minimum English score to prove you have the right English knowledge. This is a mandatory requirement even if you may excel at your English skills.
Most international universities worldwide accept 3 of the following English language tests:
- Cambridge Advanced (CAE)
What if some universities accept all these tests and you have to choose one? How do you know which one fits you best or would bring you a better score, based on their format?
All three language tests are more or less the same, with slight differences. If youre not sure which one to choose, just get more information about each one and look for online platforms that simulate the exam. This might be the best and most useful way to figure out which one you like more and brings you more comfort.
After that, you can register for the right English exam course at one of the many English language schools worldwide.
What is IELTS?
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is an international standardised test of English language proficiency. No minimum score is required to pass the test - it is measuring the candidates level of English from A1-C2. IELTS consists of four parts:
- listening (40 min)
- reading (60 min)
- writing (60 min)
- speaking (11-14 min with an interviewer).
The total test duration is around 3 hours and it is a paper-based test. Keep in mind that the test certificate expires after two years!
Benefits of preparing for the IELTS exam
- You will get an objective evaluation of your English language skills.
- You will become aware of your weak points so youll know on what you should focus on with your English training.
- You will gain a better understanding of the English knowledge required for academic level.
What is TOEFL?
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) was developed to address the problem of ensuring English language proficiency for non-native speakers wishing to study at U.S. universities. However, the TOEFL test is generally accepted around the world as a proof of language proficiency.
TOEFL consists of four parts:
- reading (60-100 min)
- listening (60-90 min)
- speaking (20 min with a computer)
- writing (50 min).
This is a computer-based test. Just like the IELTS test, the TOEFL certificate expires after two years!
Check out some useful tips on how to prepare for TOEFL.
Benefits of preparing for the TOEFL exam
- There are over 4,500 TOEFL test centres in more than 165 countries globally and you can take the test in just one day.
- The TOEFL test measures your academic skills: youll have to prove English language skills that you learnt in classroom level.
- You can find many online tutorials and study materials that cover the required test syllabus and real-test questions from previous exam sessions.
What is CAE?
CAE (Certificate in Advanced English) is the advanced general English examination provided by the Cambridge English Language Assessment centre in England. The examination comprises of five parts:
- Reading (1 hour and 15 minutes)
- Writing (1 hour and 30 minutes)
- Use of English (1 hour)
- Listening (40 minutes)
- Speaking (20 minutes)
Each component carries 20% of the total grade. There are three pass grades (A, B and C) and certificates are awarded to candidates who achieve these grades. Candidates who achieve a grade D or E are judged not to have reached the required standard for CAE.
Check out details on the format of the Cambridge test.
In the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, CAE is ranked at C1 and C2 levels. Candidates who have obtained an A grade are awarded a C2 certificate, those obtaining grade B or C, are awarded a C1 certificate.
Like all the other Cambridge exams, once the exam is passed, the qualification never expires (universities might not consider it though, if it is older than 2 years).
Benefits of preparing for the CAE exam
- You can take the Cambridge exam at over 2,800 exam centres around the world.
- The Cambridge English certificate equally opens doors to international travel, work and study opportunities.
Minimum required scores for English language exams
Most universities accept an IELTS result of 6.5, a TOEFL score of 92 or higher, and CAE C1 levels. However, this can vary; sometimes the requirement is lower, sometimes higher. Always check your chosen universitys webpage for specific language requirements!